Sunday, May 1, 2011

. the only exception .

I choose the song, The Only Exception by Paramore. I was in a love song mood <3 <3, and thought it was a good choice. So here’s my analysis by each stanza!

When I was younger, I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind
He broke his own heart and I watched
As he tried to reassemble it

From the start, the singer starts to discuss a heartbreak her father had gone through. In the third line, she says he is the one who made his own heart break.

And my momma swore that
She would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love if it does not exist
In this stanza, the singer talks about her mother being affected by this breakup. Therefore, it is inferred that her mother and father broke up and it was because of the father. Due to this, her mother swore never to love again. Since, she saw the heartache her parents went through, she said she never wanted to fall in love. Singing of her love would make it public and let people know she is capable of love.

But darling, you are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

In this chorus, she is telling someone that they are the only exception. She is saying that he is the only one who makes her want to love freely. She wants him to know that she loves him. In this stanza, it seems that this part makes it seem like it is a love note to the person she loves.

Maybe I know, somewhere deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways to make it alone
Or keep a straight face

And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable distance
And up until now I had sworn to myself that I'm content with loneliness
Because none of it was ever worth the risk

In these two stanzas, she says she knows that love may never last for her, but she wants to try it. She says she has always kept herself away from falling into love and that she didn’t care if she ended up alone. She never wanted to risk her heart to try and fall in love.

But you are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

I've got a tight grip on reality
But I can't let go of what's in front of me here
I know you're leaving in the morning when you wake up
Leave me with some kind of proof, it's not a dream, oh



She is not head over heels in love and she has a straight head even though she is in love. Even though she knows the risk, she still loves him and doesn’t want him to leave. Now when she says he’s leaving in the morning, I don’t think that she is saying he’s leaving forever but just leaving her house. By him leaving proof he was there, she wants to make sure this love isn’t a dream, and she trusts him to come back. Then she continues to says he is the only exception.

You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception

And I'm on my way to believing
Oh, and I'm on my way to believing

No comments:

Post a Comment