Friday, October 22, 2010

. i knew i was an American when .

The first time I felt like an American had to have been in the second grade. For all of preschool through first grade, I had been to a catholic school. We said our prayers in the mornings and that’s all I really remember doing. When I left that school, and transferred to James Ward the next year, it was a whole new experience for me. On the first day of school, after the sound of the beginning bell, the whole class stood up and began saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Of course, I knew how it went but I was confused and stumbled into the unison voices. Being the curious second grader that I was, I went to my teacher, very shy and quietly, and asked her why we said the Pledge of Allegiance. She told me that when we say this every morning we show PATRIOTISM and love for our great country. When she told me this it was like a new present was just given to me and it had a life-long use.I felt like an American. I felt a stronger pride for my country, I said my Pledge of Allegiance with a little more pride and when we sang our national anthem at school assemblies, or anything else, I was louder and it had enthusiamism. In my second grade mind, I wanted to grow up and do something to help and make our country better. I wanted to be the president like everyone else did (not anymore but hey you never know)! I know that it only took a few simple sentences and words to really make me feel like an American and to feel that sense of pride, but it never went away. I still am that proud and enthusiastic second grader just all grown up, and I will always be a patriotic American!

1 comment:

  1. This reminded of how in middle school, everyone would have to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star Spangled banner every single day. I never really had a problem because every time i said it made me realize that i was part of this culture and society. Every time I said it, it made me feel just a tidbit more American.

    ReplyDelete